Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sleep Training - Yes or No?

Our little girl is almost five months old, and we still haven't done any kind of sleep training. Despite the fact that we probably spend more time talking about how to get our daughter to sleep than we do discussing any other topic, neither of us has been able to come up with or find a sleep plan that we feel comfortable with.


sleep-training, sleeping babyI refuse to let my little girl "cry it out." I just won't do it. She looks and sounds terrified when she wakes up alone in her crib, and there is no way I am going to leave her there scared and lonely when one of us could pick her up and comfort her. And her dad is an even bigger softy than I am. He usually has her out of the crib already by the time I fully wake up at night and realize she's crying.

Also, I enjoy nursing her to sleep. It's cuddly. It's bonding time. She isn't going to be a baby forever. I have to get in all the cuddles I can!

But it isn't easy. When she wakes up in the middle of the night and can't fall back asleep, one of us always has to get up with her. She doesn't need to eat at night any more. She regularly goes 7 or 8 hours at night without eating, but she is still waking up regularly. She went for almost a month back in January where she slept very well in her crib, but no more!



We have no idea what to do. Sleep training feels wrong. After all, we're her parents, and it's our job to take care of her and her needs. It's not her job to make our lives as easy as possible. I wrote about this somewhat in my post Sleeping Babies and Narcissistic Parenting. It just doesn't feel right to do something we know makes her miserable and she can't understand just because as parents, we have certain wants.

Now, I know it may not sound like it, but I promise I do not judge parents that sleep train their kids, even if they use a "CIO" method. I know that each kid is different, and parents are different, and situations are different. I just know that for us, now, we can't bring ourselves to do it. That may change as she gets older. If we get closer to her first birthday and we still have sleep woes, we might do things differently. But only if it feels right and doesn't seem like we're just doing it for us. I can tell the difference between my daughter's fussy, "I'm so tired and I wish I were asleep already" cry and her "I'm afraid and lonely and insecure and I need you NOW" cry. One is light and plaintive, and the other is like screaming and comes with lots of tears. I'm willing to let her fuss a little, but the second kind of cry... not happening. She's my baby girl, my responsibility, mine to comfort and reassure. I can't sit by and let her feel like that without doing something. Not now, when she can't even understand what's going on. Maybe later when she's older, but not now.

I feel like my ramblings in this post are about as cohesive as my thoughts about babies and sleep. I guess one conclusion I can draw is this - parenting is hard! One of the hardest elements that I didn't really see coming is how difficult it is to make decisions. When she was born, I thought we would wait until she was three months old, pick a sleep training method, do it, and then everyone would sleep. And then when we got there, that didn't feel right, and now I know it's unrealistic for us. Before she was born, I knew I would exclusively breastfeed until she was six months old if at all possible. Now she's reaching for our food every chance she gets, and it's all I can do to continue to wait. I still haven't decided exactly how I want to introduce "solids", and I don't know if we're going to make it to the six month mark.

I have a feeling that no matter what I plan for now, three months from now, a year from now, or so on, the plan will change when we get there. I have read so many internet resources on sleep training, baby lead weaning, starting purees, breastfeeding until Baby is 1, 2, or beyond, and other various parenting "plans." I've come up with my own plan: "Try to figure out what works best for Baby Girl and what makes sense to me from a health, safety, and emotional well-being standpoint, and then try it. If it doesn't work, try something else."

And while I'm at it, I'm not going to get worked up about how other people do things. I'm just going to do what makes sense to me and take it one day at a time. I guess I'm just not the kind of person who likes to find someone else's "plan" and stick with it. I need to believe that what I'm doing makes sense for my family, and to do that, I always end up customizing things. It can be hard when there are so many people out there with opinions, and I love to hear all the theories and thoughts, but at the end of the day, it is okay to do things a little differently if you need to.

So no, I guess I'm not going to "sleep train" my daughter in the traditional sense. At least not right now. I might try some things, like keeping a sleep log for a few days, seeing if I can come up with any patterns, and trying to figure out what helps her fall asleep so I can help her do it on her own, but for now if she can't do it, I'm okay with helping her out. We'll see what we end up doing in the next few months, but for now, we'll take it one day at a time. Just as long as there's coffee in the morning.

5 comments:

  1. Naomi is 13 months and still not sleeping through the night. She used to actually. From a very young age. But needs change and some of that has probably been her entire winter of illnesses. But right now she needs to eat once at night. So there's no saying when a baby will sleep through the night. Solids will help some but it will be a few months before the solids are for keeping full tummies more than they are for learning what to do with solids. Some people go straight to finger foods (you can Google it, it's a nice idea!). I've never really been able to do that... if my kids only get solids that they can feed themselves they don't get enough calories to NEARLY sleep at night. We feed Naomi a bowl of oatmeal at the end of her dinner when she's done playing with her food *rolls eyes* (she likes to EAT it but after awhile she just starts playing) she just throws it on the floor even though she's still quite hungry.
    We tried CIO with our first... and we found that we had a miserable family all around... and a kid that was STILL hungry. It's like I can't possibly get enough food in my kids at this age (Asa was the same way).
    God's blessings! It will be nice for everyone when everyone sleeps at night. The only "advice" I can give is you don't have to always rush in and sometimes the least interactive thing to comfort them helps them go to sleep without taking them out of their crib. But, I agree, when they get to that scared cry... there's not a lot of patting their back that's going to help. As for people with GREAT success in CIO... I think it boils down to personalities. Some kids are more likely to take to that. Mine will just go right on screaming. They never cry themselves to sleep or give up. I got over the "I must not be a good mom b/c my kid won't calm herself down" pretty fast!
    I wanted to mention... I think when people ask new moms if they are getting enough sleep (or if their baby is sleeping at night) they are really trying to ask how mom is doing. They're looking to see if you need help. Some moms are just totally overcome with exhaustion and PPD and they don't know or want to ask for help. I really don't think people are suggesting you be selfish but are trying to make sure you're doing okay. Of course there are also plenty of people who make selfish decisions, most certainly. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experiences! I do think that every kid is so different, and even Charis is different this month than she was last month. She keeps changing and growing, and who knows, something else entirely might work for her in a few months!
      I know she isn't hungry, because when she gets up at night she doesn't eat, she just wants to be held or soothed back to sleep. So at least that's good, and Jonathan gets her very often, so I do get lots of sleep. That makes a big difference. If he couldn't do that, and if I had to feed her every time she woke up, I realize it would be very different and I might be more eager to sleep train.
      Also, I really don't mind when people ask me how she's sleeping or how she's doing. I know they are just checking in, and it really is a nice thing to ask. :) I guess I just am pushing back against the tendency of parents feel guilty or bad about themselves if their kids don't sleep through the night at various stages. I guess it boils down to she'll sleep through the night when she's ready, and we can gently try to help her figure it out, but it's okay if it takes a little while. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad Jonathon is a big help! That's great! Certainly not every kid is hungry. Mine seem to be empty pits. I'm convinced it all must go into their checks because besides that they are all pretty small on the (mostly insignificant) "charts". Sometimes Naomi can go back to sleep just by giving her a paci. Other times... I'm sure you hear! She SCREAMS. Usually I am just making her a bottle or quick going to the bathroom but you'd think it was the end of the world.

      Delete
  2. My daughter is 6 months old and her pedi suggested sleep training since she is still waking up every two hours to nurse. He said she really does not need to eat, just a habit that she has formed. The training that he suggested is a modified CIO whereas you make sure that her day routine is solid before expecting her to sleep through the night. I so want to get to her to that point. I did not sleep train my 3 year old son and he continues to wake up and join us in the bed at 3 a.m. I am stuck between a 6month old and a 3 year old every nite with about 2 hours of sleep. Something has to change...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain! Every two hours at six months is so rough. My daughter had an especially bad night last night where she woke up more than usual. I am still trying to figure out what to do with her, but I think it is a great idea to get the daytime routine down before tackling the night. We are probably going to try something similar. Work on daytime naps first, then tackle the night once those are going well. I have no answers, but lots of sympathy and understanding. I hope you have some luck soon!

      Delete